You are invited to help the less fortunate in our area. St. Augustine Church is collecting items for our local Food Pantry. A container is located in the back of church. Collections are also taken for expired coupons to be sent to the Military and gently worn shoes which are sent to the Shoe Man. The Shoe Man uses profits to dig water wells in third world countries.
Food Pantry Quick Facts:
- Food is distributed through the area wide food pantry in Scott City, which was organized by the Ministerial Alliance about 6 years ago.
- The pantry is housed in the General Baptist Church building on Main Street. Distribution is every Tuesday, 9:00-11:00 AM.
- Over 60 families per month depend upon this food pantry to supplement their groceries. They are local low-income people in need. Many are single elderly. They are referred through social agencies. All applicants present their Social Security card to receive help.
- Hunger knows no season. Donations typically decrease in summer months but need remains the same or even increases as children are not enrolled in school lunch programs over the summer.
- Helpful tip: While all donations are appreciated and used, it is helpful from a distribution perspective when a particular item is received in bulk. For instance, five cans of canned chicken will help five different families.